Quick access

Full HTML PDF
Views: 324

Downloads: 53
Share Article:
2023 Volume 14 Issue 3

Prevalence of Community-Acquired Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (CA-MRSA) in the Nasal Carriage of Delta State University Students


, , ,
Abstract

The study aimed to look into the prevalence of community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in the nasal carriage of Delta State University students. 100 nasal swabs (samples) were collected from the anterior nares of both male and female students of DELSU and were cultured on Mannitol salt Agar. Staphylococcus aureus species were isolated. A standard biochemical identification test was carried out to identify the organism. An antibiotic susceptibility test was carried out for Staphylococcus aureus using the Agar well diffusion method and the zone of inhibition was determined. The average readings were taken of the zone of inhibition and were compared with the Kirby Bauer Standard for Staphylococcus aureus. zones of inhibitions within the range (≤10) were used to determine the Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). Out of the 100 samples collected and cultured, 93 were Staph species 33(35.5%) were found to be Staphylococcus aureus while the remaining 60(64.5%) were other species of Staphylococcus aureus. Only the Staphaureus species was worked on and out of the 33(35.5%) Staphylococcus aureus, 23(69.7%) of the Staphylococcus aureus were found to be methicillin-resistant. In comparison, 10(30.3%) were found to be sensitive to Oxacillin disk which was used as a reference to methicillin antibiotics because it's closely related to methicillin. This study shows increased Staphylococcus aureus methicillin resistance, therefore suggesting the prevalence of CA-MRSA in the nasal cavity of DELSU Students and suggesting that more work has to be done and awareness campaigns on how to curtail the spread of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.


How to cite this article
Vancouver
Enwa FO, Amaihunwa KC, Adjekuko CO, Onyolu SB. Prevalence of Community-Acquired Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (CA-MRSA) in the Nasal Carriage of Delta State University Students. J Biochem Technol. 2023;14(3):67-71. https://doi.org/10.51847/u7ox8LFO5P
APA
Enwa, F. O., Amaihunwa, K. C., Adjekuko, C. O., & Onyolu, S. B. (2023). Prevalence of Community-Acquired Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (CA-MRSA) in the Nasal Carriage of Delta State University Students. Journal of Biochemical Technology, 14(3), 67-71. https://doi.org/10.51847/u7ox8LFO5P
INDEXING
SCIRUS, Chemical Abstracts, EBSCOhost databases, Genamics JournalSeek, ABCD Journl Index, Asian Science Citation Index (ASCI) and many other international scientific databases.

JOURNAL OF BIOCHEMICAL TECHNOLOGY
JOURNAL OF BIOCHEMICAL TECHNOLOGY
Journal of Biochemical Technology is a double-blind peer reviewed International Journal published by the Deniz Publication on behalf of the Biochemical Technology Society, a Registered Charity Organization from India

AREA OF INTEREST
AREA OF INTEREST
new advances in enzymatic and protein mechanims; applied molecular genetics and biotechnology; genomics and proteomics; metabolic; medical, environmental, food and agro biotechnology.

FOCUS AND SCOPE
FOCUS AND SCOPE
Journal of Biochemical Technology provides a publication on all aspects of biochemistry, biotechnology & bioinformatics and applications in biology and medicine. Areas of high interest cover new advances in enzymatic and protein mechanisms; applied molecular genetics and biotechnology; computational biology, genomics and proteomics; metabolic & tissue engineering; medical, environmental, Pharmacy and pharmaceutical chemistry, food and agro-biotechnology.

Publish with us


Deniz Publication
Guzelyali Mah. Sahilyolu Cad.Defne Sok. No: 7, 34903 Pendik, Istanbul
Email: [email protected]
Tell: +905344990778

Publishing steps

1.Prepare
your paper
2.Submit
and revise
3.Track
your research
4.Share
and promote
This journal provides immediate open access to its content on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge. Keywords include, Biochemical Research: Endo/exocytosis, Trafficking, Membrane Biology, Cell Migration, Cell-Matrix Organelle Biogenesis, Cytoskeleton Proteolysis, Cell Death, Cell Cycle, Cancer, Cell Growth/Death, Differentiation, Drug Targets, Gene Therapy, Models of Disease, Proteomics, Stem Cells, Bioenergetics, Mitochondria, Free Radicals, Redox Signaling, Ion Transport/Channels, Oxidative